In its operating plan for the years 2009—14, the Board has decided that Mistra should work by:
- helping to revitalise the Swedish research and innovation system.
- independently developing, implementing and evaluating ideas and activities to maximise quality.
- investing in research and development that are of strategic environmental benefit to humankind and society, where possible in cooperation with other Swedish or international funders.
- awarding grants only in competition following application calls.
- examining applications in terms of both scientific quality and benefit to society.
- implementing research programmes jointly with academia, businesses, public administration and NGOs.
- developing sustainable asset management in a global economy.
- reviewing its priorities annually and carrying out a strategic audit every six years
- investing up to SEK 1.2 billion in strategic environmental research during the current six-year period.